Battle of the Books 2020
Competition day is: Saturday, April 18th
Elementary competition begins at 9:00 AM
Jr. High competition begins at 1:00 PM
Each participant must have a signed permission slip in order to participate. Permission slips are available at the library or can be downloaded and printed off here.
Elementary school permission slip
Jr. High school permission slip
A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd
Lifeboat 12 by Susan Hood
Restart by Gordon Korman
Superstar by Mandy Davis
The Serpent’s Secret by Sayantani DasGupta
Rising Water: The Story of the Thai Cave Rescue by Marc Aronson
Front Desk by Kelly Yang
Framed! by James Ponti
Dream Bender by Ronald Kidd
Curse of the Boggin by D.J. MacHale
Deep Water by Watt Key
H.I.V.E. by Mark Walden
Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
Refugee by Alan Gratz
School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani
The Parker Inheritance by Varian Johnson
New Kid by Jerry Craft
How to Disappear by Sharon Huss Roat
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
- A team captain should be chosen. The captain can be the “reporter” or he/she can choose another team member to give the answer to the questions.
- Teams will be assigned to a location for each round of competition.
- Each round of the contest will consist of 18 multiple choice questions and 2 short answer questions.
- Each question will be repeated twice. Teams will get 15 seconds to consult with each other before answering multiple choice questions and 20 seconds for short answer. Time will begin after the question is read the second time.
- The correct answer to each question will be worth 1 point. Points will be recorded after the end of each round. The team with the most points at the end of the competition will be the winner. The team with the second highest points will win 2nd place. In the event of a tie the tournament will go into sudden death. Short answer questions will be asked until 1 team answers correctly. That team will be the winner. Teams will receive 20 seconds to answer sudden death questions.
- The 10 contest books may not be used during the tournament to look up answers to questions nor may there be coaching from the audience.
- Each round of the contest will be played as scheduled. If one or more members of a team are absent, the following options are allowed:
- fill the team with registered alternates
- play with the number of team members present
- Alternate team members may be substituted between rounds but not in the middle of a round.
- A team may challenge an answer to a question if they believe it is not correct. A ruling will be made by a pre-selected group of library staff. All rulings are final.