A+  A-

Tax Resource Center

Frequently Asked Questions

When is the library getting more paper tax forms? Which tax forms is the library getting?
The answer to both questions is that we are not sure! We participate in the IRS Tax Forms Outlet Program, but we have no control over which or how many forms we receive. All we know for sure is that we will be receiving a very limited quantity of common federal and state tax forms and instructions. These forms are available on a first come, first serve basis, and we are unable to reorder more forms. The implication of this is that both the federal and state government are pushing harder than ever for taxpayers to file their taxes online.
How can I file taxes online?
The IRS and the Indiana Department of Revenue are partnered with tax software vendors to provide free access to their online tax software:

We highly recommend using Indiana Free File if you meet the requirements for at least one of the vendors, as it offers the ability to file both federal and Indiana taxes for free. You may use a library computer to file your taxes online, but please be advised that the library cannot provide the answers to any tax related questions. For answers to common questions about online tax filing, please check out the IN Free File FAQ.

How can I get access to paper tax forms or instructions that the library does not have?
All federal and state tax forms are available online:
Federal Forms

State Forms

You may print the forms and instructions at home or at the library. Black and white pages can be printed at the library for $0.10 per page. Additionally, you can contact the IRS and request that forms be mailed to you by calling 1-800-829-3676. State tax forms can be ordered by calling 317-615-2581 or sending an e-mail with your order to pfrequest@dor.in.gov.

How can I get help with my taxes?
There are a number of resources available for tax help. For questions about federal taxes, you can make use of the online IRS Interactive Tax Assistant. Individuals with specific questions can also contact the IRS by telephone at 1-800-829-1040 or 1-800-829-4059 (TTY/TDD) if hearing impaired.

Low-income tax filers or senior citizens may also be eligible for assistance through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) outlets. To find the nearest VITA or TCE outlet, visit the IRS tax help prep finder or the AARP tax-aide locator.