Battle of the Books 2018
Competition day is: Saturday, April 21st
Elementary competition begins at 9:00 AM
Jr. High competition begins at 1:00 PM
Each participant must have a signed permission slip in order to participate. Permission slips are available at the library or can be downloaded and printed off here.
Elementary school permission slip
Jr. High school permission slip
Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
Dash by Kirby Larson
The Juvie Three by Gordon Korman
Candy Bomber: The Story of the Berlin Airlift’s “Chocolate Pilot” by Michael Tunnell
The Book Scavenger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman
The Big Dark by Rodman Philbrick
Story Thieves by James Riley
Edge of Extinction: The Ark Plan by Laura Martin
The Ghost’s Grave by Peg Kehret
The Wild Robot by Peter Brown
Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
Red Kayak by Priscilla Cummings
Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Code of Honor by Alan Gratz
The Swap by Megan Shull
The President Has Been Shot! by James L. Swanson
Fast Break by Mike Lupica
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud
- A team captain should be chosen. The captain can be the “reporter” or he/she can choose another team member to give the answer to the questions.
- Teams will be assigned to a location for each round of competition.
- Each round of the contest will consist of 18 multiple choice questions and 2 short answer questions.
- Each question will be repeated twice. Teams will get 15 seconds to consult with each other before answering multiple choice questions and 20 seconds for short answer. Time will begin after the question is read the second time.
- The correct answer to each question will be worth 1 point. Points will be recorded after the end of each round. The team with the most points at the end of the competition will be the winner. The team with the second highest points will win 2nd place. In the event of a tie the tournament will go into sudden death. Short answer questions will be asked until 1 team answers correctly. That team will be the winner. Teams will receive 20 seconds to answer sudden death questions.
- The 10 contest books may not be used during the tournament to look up answers to questions nor may there be coaching from the audience.
- Each round of the contest will be played as scheduled. If one or more members of a team are absent, the following options are allowed:
- fill the team with registered alternates
- play with the number of team members present
- Alternate team members may be substituted between rounds but not in the middle of a round.
- A team may challenge an answer to a question if they believe it is not correct. A ruling will be made by a pre-selected group of library staff. All rulings are final.