Battle of the Books 2017
Competition day is: Saturday, April 22nd
Elementary competition begins at 9:00 AM
Jr. High competition begins at 1:00 PM
Each participant must have a signed permission slip in order to participate. Permission slips are available at the library or can be downloaded and printed off here.
Elementary school permission slip
Jr. High school permission slip
Masterminds by Gordon Korman
Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley
The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer L. Holm
The Great Wall of Lucy Wu by Wendy Wan-Long Shang
Twerp by Mark Goldblatt
Ice Dogs by Terry Lynn Johnson
Closed for the Season by Mary Downing Hahn
Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom by Lynda Blackmon Lowrey
Catch You Later, Traitor by Avi
The Eighth Day by Dianne K. Salerni
Lois Lane: Fallout by Gwenda Bond
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
Code Talker by Joseph Bruchac
The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier
Small as an Elephant by Jennifer Richardson Jacobson
Girl Stolen by April Henry
The Seventh Most Important Thing by Shelley Pearsall
Game Seven by Paul Volponi
Terror at Bottle Creek by Watt Key
A Night Divided by Jennifer Nielsen
- A team captain should be chosen. The captain can be the “reporter” or he/she can choose another team member to give the answer to the questions.
- Teams will be assigned to a location for each round of competition.
- Each round of the contest will consist of 18 multiple choice questions and 2 short answer questions.
- Each question will be repeated twice. Teams will get 15 seconds to consult with each other before answering multiple choice questions and 20 seconds for short answer. Time will begin after the question is read the second time.
- The correct answer to each question will be worth 1 point. Points will be recorded after the end of each round. The team with the most points at the end of the competition will be the winner. The team with the second highest points will win 2nd place. In the event of a tie the tournament will go into sudden death. Short answer questions will be asked until 1 team answers correctly. That team will be the winner. Teams will receive 20 seconds to answer sudden death questions.
- The 10 contest books may not be used during the tournament to look up answers to questions nor may there be coaching from the audience.
- Each round of the contest will be played as scheduled. If one or more members of a team are absent, the following options are allowed:
- fill the team with registered alternates
- play with the number of team members present
- Alternate team members may be substituted between rounds but not in the middle of a round.
- A team may challenge an answer to a question if they believe it is not correct. A ruling will be made by a pre-selected group of library staff. All rulings are final.